MONDAY TO FRIDAY: 9.00AM TO 5.00PM
As Wangaratta’s newest medical centre, and the first purpose-built clinic the town; South Wangaratta Medical Centre boasts a comfortable and modern building, spacious consulting suites and easy off street parking.
At the official opening in November, Federal Minister for Health, Aged Care and Sport, Susan Ley praised the centre saying:
“This is a really high quality practice in terms of design, layout and access. They’ve thought of everything”
South Wangaratta Medical Centre provides affordable healthcare by charging a reasonable gap for those patients who can afford to make a co-contribution and bulk billing pensioners, concession card holders and children.
The medical centre offers appointments with General Practitioners, Dentist, Dietitian, Diabetes Education, Chronic Disease Management nurses, and Consellor.
Dr. Julian Fidge
BPharm, Grad Dip App Sc (Comp Sc), MBBS, FRACGP
After completing a Bachelor of Pharmacy and then medical qualifications, Dr Fidge joined the army as a reserve medical officer in 2005 and working overseas for the military with a stint in East Timor for four months in 2006, conducting aeromedical evacuations.
After working in emergency medicine and general surgery Dr Fidge moved back to Wangaratta region to begin specialty training in rural general practice.
Dr Fidge has special interest in the fields of drug and alcohol rehabilitation, skin cancers, gastric band management and mental illness.
Dr. Brendan Pitts
MB. BS., FACRRM., M.Soc. Orth. Med. (UK)
Dr Pitts is a very experienced, vocationally registered general practitioner who has worked most of his career in rural practices. Dr Pitts has special interest and expertise in Orthopaedic medicine. This speciality covers all non-surgical injuries and conditions.
Dr Gilles Laur
Dr Laur holds a general registration and working towards his fellowship. He has over 10 years of medical expertise in a variety of primary health care settings including 4 years in rural and sub-rural medicine, 2 years in Emergencies, 2 years in internal medicine, more than 3 years of experience in Australia.
Dr Laur has a special interest in skin cancer management. He is an accredited doctor of the Skin Cancer College of Australia and he has extensive knowledge and experience in skin cancer medicine.
Dr Laur also speaks French and Spanish
Dr Thoshitha Weerasinghe
Business and Practice Manager:
Appointments can be made via phone or in person with one of our reception team. Standard consultations are in 15 minute intervals and long consultations are allocated 30 minutes.
• Appointments can also be made online and via your mobile phone (see instructions at bottom right corner of this page).
• We make every effort to ensure clients are seen on their preferred day and with your doctor of choice. Please bring your Medicare Card to every appointment.
• Provisions are made in our appointment system for emergency consultations.
• Specific issues such as complex medical examinations, health assessments, care plans and surgical procedures require a long appointment. If you are unsure how much time you need, please enquire with reception at the time of booking.
• Please advise your doctor at the start of your consultation if you have several matters you wish to discuss. You may be asked to book a further appointment at a later stage if you have multiple requests/problems which cannot be dealt with in one consultation.
• We understand your time is valuable and will make every effort to ensure your waiting time is kept to a minimum. Sometimes, general practice is unpredictable and urgent medical needs will be given priority.
Contacting the practice after hours
•Our doctors may be contacted during normal practice opening hours. If the doctor is in consultation, a message will be taken and our receptionist will advise you when it is likely that the doctor will return your call. Emergency calls will always be put through to a doctor.
• In order that we are able to contact you, please ensure we have your correct telephone numbers and address also that the details of your nominated Next of Kin are current.
Our practice provides 24/7 care to our patients. If you require attention when our practice is closed, please call 0402 647 739 and our on-call doctor will provide advice, or attend to you as necessary.
In a medical emergency, call for an Ambulance on “000”.
Results, referals and repeat prescriptions
Your doctor will advise when results are expected to arrive at the practice. Please make an appointment to correspond with this time.
• We believe it is good medical practice to make an appointment for the issue of repeat prescriptions or referrals to specialists and allied health professionals. There may be out of pocket expenses for consultations with specialists.
•All conditions requiring regular, ongoing medication need to be reviewed and monitored to confirm the need for ongoing treatment. The amount of medication and number of prescription repeats provided is at the discretion of your doctor and in line with guidelines for responsible prescribing.
Privacy and your information
The provision of quality health care requires a doctorpatient relationship of trust and confidentiality. This Practice protects your personal health information to ensure it is only available to authorised members of staff, for intended persons and to comply with the Privacy Act.
Our clinic adheres to the highest standards in security of storage and transmission of health records.
Recalls and reminders
•Our practice is committed to preventative care and patients will be offered ‘screening medical examinations’ for early detection of serious medical conditions such as diabetes, asthma, cervical cancer (via Pap smears) and other chronic medical conditions.
•From time to time, you may receive a reminder notice for preventative health services appropriate to your care. If you do not wish to be part of this service, please advise your doctor or one of our receptionists and asked to be removed from our reminder system.
Complaints and feedback
• Your feedback, both positive and negative is an invaluable communication tool and is used to improve our practice and our provision of service.
• We strive to improve for your benefit, please direct any queries or complaints to our Practice Manager. • If you have a complaint you wish to take further you may contact:
Office of the Health Services Commissioner Phone: 8601 5200 or toll free 1800 136 066